Sunday, February 13, 2005

cha-ri-tee myu-shi-kal

Many, many moons ago we began rehearsing this year’s Niigata International Charity Organization musical, Peter “ja” Pan [get it? Japan. Ha, ha] For 5 years they have adapted for stage, practiced intensely and performed a musical in various venues throughout the prefecture to raise money. They always partner with the Papua New Guinea Society of Japan to improve the quality of life for the poor people in the island nation. The group is comprised mostly of JETs, a few private ALTs and a few Japanese friends of other group members. We do it all, from directing to building props, publicity to costume design and makeup.

We’ve had 3 shows now, which have gone more smoothly than I anticipated. My role is small, which is probably a good thing since my heart and soul haven’t truly been in this since I began to realize how much of my free time it was eating up. I’ve regretted having to pass on cultural events with Japanese friends in order to hang out with a bunch of foreigners. To be fair, since we've started performing I have enjoyed the gig though. Liz and I are both tribe members belonging to a group who befriends Peter in Neverland and plays games all day and helps fight pirates.

We got to choreograph our own introduction dance which was loads of fun. It looks really good when we all actually remember it. In a hilarious twist, I managed to do the most embarrassing thing you can possibly imagine happening to a stage performer. During the 1st show, I was leading the tribe in a circle dance when I slipped on a tissue paper leaf [we were in the "jungle"] and went flailing around, fighting it, finally plopping down on my butt on front and center stage. I quickly spun around break dance style and hopped back up mortified. Glad I’m not the ‘get horribly embarrassed easily’ type or that could’ve left a psychological mark. After some shows, we’ve all gone out or had an enkai [all-you-can-drink party] which is a blast. Our show in Joetsu, my town, is on 2/19 and our final performance is 3/12. The following weekend, on 3/19, I’ll be heading to Papua New Guinea for two weeks to put our charity money to use. We'll be building houses for teachers [they have a problem retaining instructors in this village because they are lured away to more lucrative jobs with perks such as housing] and schools. Some of the money will also go towards paying tuition for the village children. It only costs about $20, 2000 yen, to send a child to school for a year but many parents cannot afford that. Amazing to think in Japan that’s the same price as 4 draught beers or 1 movie ticket. I'm really looking forward to the trip. It's been the carrot I dangle in front of my own face every time I get disillusioned about investing so much time in this production.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved your pictures and reading your writtings. Happy valentines day late Love Nanny

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home